You will focus your efforts on creating relevant, compelling, and persuasive written content. You will explore the use of effective copy within a marketing plan, understand your target audience’s perspective, and learn and practise proven techniques for producing effective copy for all relevant digital or print platforms.
Excellent. Immeasurably valuable when it comes to pitching to clients.
Head of creative/creative department, Corporate Rewards
One day in-company training course
- Appreciate the key differences between print and digital content
- Learn the elements of an effective creative briefing
- Understand how we view - and filter – marketing communications
- Profile and evaluate their specific target audiences
- Learn how to plan their message, and the structure of the content
- Learn and practise tried and tested techniques for producing attention-grabbing copy
- Understand the importance of “voice” in content, style and language
- Practise all of these techniques using your own working briefs
We recommend a maximum of 8 delegates per workshop to maximise the one-to-one tuition and guidance provided by the trainer. We will ask you to bring examples of your recent work, and most importantly, a genuine brief (or two) for actual written work that needs to be completed. This will form the basis of the practical elements of the course.
It’s all about marketing
- How written communications helps fulfil marketing objectives
- The importance of planning, and thinking!
- The difference a good brief makes
Purpose and preparation
- The power of the written word
- It's a very noisy world - understanding the context of your communications
- Screen v page – comparing digital content to printed marketing material
- Profiling and segmenting your audience to refine your approach and message
- Motivators – needs and wants! Why should they listen to you?
Doing it: Profile your target audience
Preparing to write
- Having a clear purpose; defining your objective(s)
- Organising and prioritising your information
- Extracting value and meaning from data and words
- Working with expert or technical source material
Creating compelling copy
- The IDEA structure – encouraging creativity, purpose and flexibility
First impressions matter!
- Planning your central message
- Attention-grabbing headlines and subject lines
- Using benefits to persuasively present your solution, service or offer
- Calls-to-action and response mechanisms
Doing it: Headlines and subject lines
Language, clarity and tone of voice
- Choosing the right language and tone-of-voice
- Paragraphs, sentences, words
- Consistency – tone-of-voice; layout; language, etc
- How to edit your words, sentences, and paragraphs
- Editing and checking – getting it right first time
Doing it: Writing and completing your own piece of copy, working with a specific brief
Feedback, discussion and evaluation
To do lists – how will you put into practice what you have learned?
Reactions and close
This course provides you with practical skills that you can apply immediately to your own copy. We send you away with a list of “To dos” to focus on after your training and will follow-up with you to see how you are getting on. We are always here if you have any queries at all.
To find out more about our range of in-company courses, and how we work and support you both before and after your training, please have a look at our in-company training page.
Our bespoke in-company training is run on a date and at a place to suit you. But if you would rather learn online, we are about to launch a Copywriting e-learning course. Please email us for advance notification.
Please call 00 44(0)1428 722105 or email us for more information on how we can help you organise your training.