Developing a content strategy
Half day in-company training course
Ideal for anyone who needs to come up with a strategy to make the most of the content they create - no matter where it appears. This session prompts delegates to look at what their audience wants and how to give it to them.
Outline How does your audience behave?
Doing it: Delegates will analyse brands, to see what works and what doesn't work
- Where is your audience reading your content?
- Which devices are they using?
- What impact does that have on their behaviour?
- What does that mean for how you create content?
Crafting content for multiple platforms
Doing it: Delegates will plan a piece of content
- Taking an idea and making it work on different platforms
- Understanding what you need for print
- Understanding what you need for your website
- Understanding what you need for mobile and tablets
- Choosing the right method for the media: text, images, video?
- What are you being measured on?
- Where should you put most effort?
- What does this mean for workflow?
Best practice for digital: pulling readers to the page
Doing it: Delegates will write the piece of content they have planned
- Why every page needs to be a home page
- Making the most of key words to get your content found
- Writing digital friendly headlines and copy
- The importance of captions and alt text
- The importance of links, related content and creating a package for the reader
- Taking what you know about SEO and moving it forward
- What about social media and search?
- Thinking about how your headlines will be used for social media
- Understanding the stats – why it is important to be measuring your individual success to make your copy work harder
Approaches to different types of content on the web
Doing it: Delegates will plan a web feature for their site and write its head, summary and opening paragraphs
- How do you cope with covering news without a dedicated 24/7 team?
- Evolving the news pyramid to a new digital era
- Unfolding the news story – how much; how often?
- Adapting features content for the web and digital
- Formats that work
- Approaches for longer articles
- Breaking up copy
- Using content to encourage interaction and feedback
Finishing the job
Doing it: Delegates will plan to get their copy noticed
- Getting the word out
- The importance of good headlines and metadata
- Using Twitter and Facebook to draw readers to your site
To do lists
For more information on how we can help you organise your course, please contact us.