Our easy to follow, expert grammar e-learning course will transform your writing, boost your confidence and help your readers understand exactly what you are trying to say - without resorting to a dictionary!
Mistakes in your grammar and punctuation will not only confuse and frustrate your reader - they can overshadow or even destroy your intended message or meaning whether it is in print or online. With a better understanding of English grammar rules and correct use, you will also be able to speed up your writing and editing, while adding clarity and understanding to everything you write.
The grammar mistakes covered in this online training course are the most common ones that can affect all types of writing: emails, letters, proposals, project reports, websites, presentations, job applications, press releases, journalism, brochures and blogs. We will give you all the theory, as well as interactive grammar quizzes and tests to really check your understanding. If you really want to brush up on your grammar and improve your writing, then this is definitely the course for you.
The best ETC course I've done. This invaluable e-learning session will benefit anybody who has concerns about their writing.
This course is for anybody who writes, contributes or edits any written material, in any print or digital medium or format.
The course comes in 2 parts:
Part 1: Words and sentences; punctuation and confused words
Part 2: Making the sentence work and the final five
You will learn:
- Top 20 grammar mistakes and how to fix them
- The essential lessons of grammatical usage and construction
- The key principles of effective punctuation
- When to use certain tenses
- How to write clear, effective sentences
- How grammar affects understanding
- How to avoid confusing your reader
- Why better grammar makes your writing clearer and easier to read
...and much more.
If you sat down and did the course in one sitting, it would take approximately 1.5-2 hours to complete. However, the exercises and quizzes we include mean it can take longer. You can work at your own pace, and dip in and out of the course as often as you want, and go back to sections to really make sure you've understood. If you have any queries at all, you are very welcome to get in touch with the trainer as often as you want.
We set a 4 week deadline from the point you receive your enrolment information. If you need longer though, you just need to let us know. The course covers:
- The correct use of apostrophes, commas, dashes, semi-colons, and exclamation marks
- Grammar traps to avoid, including: less or fewer; past or last; I or me: who or whom
Making your sentences work
- How subject and verb should work together
- How modifiers affect the meaning of what you write
- Using gerunds - "ing" words - more effectively
- Structuring your sentences and phrases for clarity and meaning
- Avoiding faulty coordination when you write
- The effect of shifting the subject in your writing
- Using compound language to best effect
What not to worry about!
The course is packed with quizzes so you can check your understanding of the theory as you go along.
It also includes clear examples; checklists and our famous Top Tips so you can be sure of understanding and applying every single part of this invaluable programme.
Richard Sharpe is a trainer, journalist, researcher, a Visiting Fellow in journalism at the University of East London and a director of ContentETC. As a journalist he has contributed to the Financial Times, The Herald Tribune, The Times, The Daily Telegraph, The Observer, Computing, Computer Weekly and other publications covering IT and its impact. Richard is a highly successful trainer, regularly training journalists at publishing companies including Bauer, Haymarket and TimeInc and coaching executives at organisations including UCLU and LSE.
The beauty of e-learning is that you can do it at a time and place to suit you. But you won't be alone! Richard will talk you through the key points to improve your skills and knowledge, and at any time during your e-learning course, you can email him with any queries or comments.
Richard can also give you invaluable one-to-one feedback on your own work. If you buy the trainer feedback option with your course, email your work to him after you have completed the e-learning and he will supply you with individual guidance, comments and practical suggestions. Then, once you've improved your work, he will review your revised content and provide a second set of comments. This unique feedback really brings your e-learning to life and makes sure you have truly grasped - and applied - all of the key principles.
If you would like to receive a Certificate when you have completed your e-learning course, please just let us know and we will arrange for one to be sent to you.
Top 20 grammar mistakes and how to fix them is £55 + tax per user * which gives you full unlimited access to the course for one month. If you need longer though, you just need to let us know.
If you want to add personal one-to-one trainer feedback to the course, the price is £105 + tax.
* Discounted rates of up to 70% are available for multiple users. The discount applies to this course or a mix of e-learning courses. We will give you an immediate 10% discount off your second course if you book with us again.