The journey towards assertiveness
“With confidence, you have won before you have even started.” Marcus Garvey
Many people come to me wanting help with self-confidence, standing up for themselves or speaking to senior managers. How can I become more assertive? Quite often the answers and help that are required come from the need to understand and to become more assertive.
This challenging one-day course addresses our belief systems and how we apply these in not only our professional but also our personal lives. During the day we will cover:
- How communication has evolved and changed over time
- What we understand by listening skills
- How to identify our preferred thinking style and understanding the different ways that other people think
- How to adapt to other styles therefore building rapport and confidence
- Understanding key elements of body language and how to read the ‘signals’
- How we adapt to different personality types and help with small talk
- Deciphering what assertiveness means to different people
- Identifying what assertiveness is compared to aggression and passivity and how choice plays a role in how we choose to behave
- Understanding how different situations require different styles of communication
- System practice - the five most common situations that occur that require a level of assertiveness and how to anticipate them and react to them when they happen
The course is highly interactive and calls upon delegates to challenge the way they currently communicate with a view to improving their skills both in work and at home.
This course is naturally followed by a session on Influence and communication skills.
Influence and communication skills
Building on the skills learned in the Assertiveness course, Influence and Communication looks at how we can affect an outcome in our favour using some proven skills. With a focus on the written word, this course will help people wanting to improve their skills especially when writing emails or proposals with a view to appealing to certain personality types:
- Understanding the concept of emotional intelligence and how it fits into our day to day lives
- A look at the four main personality types and how to tailor your communication to each one
- Understanding language that is defined as 'toward' or 'away from' and how to appeal to recipients using this technique
- Understanding the relationship between power, dependancy and influence
- Identifying the six key rules of influence and their place in our lives
- Practical exercises to put everything into context
These outlines are just a snap-shot of what can be offered. Please contact us for more information on how we can help you organise your course.