Learn how to spot mistakes and improve pages through a series of practical exercises run throughout this tailored course.
Really helpful, especially when giving specific situations or examples of work used commonly within the department. Offered memorable techniques on how to approach proofing.
Hospitality marketing executive, BH Live
Half or one-day in-company training course (dependent on needs)
Proofing – the basics
Understanding the production process
- Where proofreading fits into the overall process
Where proofreading comes in
- The importance of proofreading
- Its responsibilities
- Skills required
- Why proofreading is a physical, not a creative process
How to use proof correction marks
- The most commonly used British Standard proofing marks
- Why they are used
- Examples of usage
- Includes a handout of the most commonly used marks
Establishing an effective proofing process
- Guidelines on best practice in proofing
Checking and accuracy
The importance of grammar and punctuation
- A run through of essential grammar and punctuation with a focus on common problems
Tips on spotting mistakes
- A look at problem areas where mistakes occur
- A checklist for spotting less obvious mistakes
- Making visual checks
- To include a handout of what to check on proofs apart from the content
Developing and implementing a house style
- The importance of always proof reading against house style
Ways to improve the effectiveness of proof reading
- How methods and processes can make a difference
To do lists – how will you put into practice what you have learned?
Reactions and close
This course provides you with practical skills that you can apply immediately to your own work. We send you away with a list of “To dos” to focus on after your training and will follow-up with you to see how you are getting on. We are always here if you have any queries at all.
To find out more about our range of in-company courses, and how we work and support you both before and after your training, please have a look at our in-company training page.
Our bespoke in-company training is run on a date and at a place to suit you. But if you would rather learn online, please look at our Proofreading elearning course.
Please call 00 44(0)1428 722105 or email us for more information on how we can help you organise your training.