Every title aims to keep its readers coming back time and time again with great features. This session pushes you to take stock of what you are doing now; identify weak points and bad habits; and use the techniques outlined to change and improve your writing.
Good. I feel energised and inspired. Tips on interviewing and intros particularly useful.
Writer, Immediate Media
One day in-company training course
We will ask you to send an article to the trainer at least one week before the course, and bring a work in progress with you on the day.
Planning for success
- The best ways to get your information over
- Formats: old, new and undiscovered
- Planning – what you should cover
- Thinking in scenes and dialogue
- Which structure suits the story
- Mixing and matching techniques
- Flash back/flash forward
- Getting the eyecatchers right
Doing it: Working in groups, delegates will come up with the plan, head and standfirst for a short feature
- Are yours as effective as they could be?
- Using the 7 types to maintain variety and excitement
- What works in print?
Doing it: Delegates will create several intros for the same article
Keeping the reader reading
- The crucial role of links
- Are you using different ways to link?
- The cliffhanger
- Using scenes and dialogue
- Quoting for impact
- Concluding with a flourish
- Creating the rhythm
- Why each sentence matters
- Techniques to keep the reader reading
- Keeping it tight – cutting your own copy
Doing it: Delegates will build on one of their intros
Doing it: Delegates will work on a second feature using the techniques discussed; this may be a work in progress or based on information provided
Evaluation and discussion
One-to-ones: Delegates will discuss their own work with the trainer
To do lists – how will you put into practice what you have learned?
Reactions and close
This course provides you with practical skills that you can apply immediately to your own features. We send you away with a list of “To dos” to focus on after your training and will follow-up with you to see how you are getting on. We are always here if you have any queries at all.
To find out more about our range of in-company courses, and how we work and support you both before and after your training, please have a look at our in-company training page.
Our bespoke in-company training is run on a date and at a place to suit you. But if you would rather learn online, please have a look at our Advanced feature writing e-learning course.
Please call 00 44(0)1428 722105 or email us for more information on how we can help you organise your training.