Good features don't just happen. They are the result of careful planning and effective use of structure. This session will give you the opportunity to break down the process and try out different techniques to improve your writing.
The course was very useful and I learned plenty of directly relevant information. Great advice and tips to take away.
Editorial assistant, Haymarket Media
One day in-company training course
We ask you to bring an article that you have written that you would like to discuss with the trainer; and a feature in progress or material for a feature.
Before you start
- Understanding who your reader is and what they want
- What makes a feature great?
- Types of features in print and online
- How to come up with ideas
- Spinning an idea to make it fresh
- What to do at a features meeting
- Choosing the best format for the subject
- Planning for maximum effect
- Considering digital elements
Doing it: Planning a feature - coming up with a head, standfirst, intro
Pulling the reader in
- Coming up with great intros
- Varying your approach
- The possibilities
Doing it: Experimenting with different types of intro
Keeping the reader reading
- Coming up with intros that pull the reader in
- Making the best use of your quotes
- Keeping the reader reading with links
- Giving your writing pace
- Ending well
Doing it: Building on your intro to include at least one transition
Doing it: Planning a second feature - coming up with a head, standfirst, intro
Doing it: Building on the plan to complete the feature
Doing it: One-to-ones with the trainer to discuss each delegate's features
To do lists – how will you put into practice what you have learned?
Reactions and close
This course provides you with practical skills that you can apply immediately to your own features. We send you away with a list of “To dos” to focus on after your training and will follow-up with you to see how you are getting on. We are always here if you have any queries at all.
To find out more about our range of in-company courses, and how we work and support you both before and after your training, please have a look at our in-company training page.
Please call 00 44(0)1428 722105 or email us for more information on how we can help you organise your training.