How can you make the most of the many channels available to you today? This tailored session looks at why it is important to plan how your content can be shaped, from the first glimmer of an idea to its execution, on a variety of different media.
Very useful - should allow me to structure our plans and help develop a strategy.
Editor, Immediate Media
Half day in-company training course
For anyone who is involved in planning digital content (will be tailored to the experience of the group), it is an opportunity to think strategically about how you are using content.
Intro to multi channel content strategies
- Thinking in a multi channel way: why print isn’t always the first port of call
- Which comes first, print or digital?
- Deciding what makes each piece of content successful
Doing it: Explore different multi channel case studies and their levels of success. What can we learn from these?
Creating effective tools to manage multi channel content
- Choose an upcoming event or content opportunity to concentrate on
- List all the different channels you could exploit
- Identify all the key content types that could be exploited eg Buzzfeed style lists, short videos, curated content, brief comment, print content, long form writing, galleries etc
Doing it: Using a free online content planner, plot all content options for this project
Thinking about different potential audiences for this content project
- Exploiting more than one audience with multi-purpose content
- Which audiences might be interested in this project?
- Quick personas
- What channels, sites and devices do they use?
- A multimedia Day in the Life of... quick personas
Doing it: Go back to your planner and create areas for different audiences where needed, using your personas to help
Getting the timing right
- Make a note of any timing opportunities and constraints eg embargoes, launch dates, coinciding with special dates or other activity
- What needs to happen before, during and after this event?
- Which channels work best when? How do they interconnect?
- Think about which channels and content types work best within this timeline
Doing it: Go back to your planner and plot specific timings for content release
Measuring your success
Setting goals - Do you want your content to
- Be shared
- Improve your Google rankings
- Increase magazine readership/sales
- Attract advertisers
- Sign ups to the website
- Fulfil commercial requirements
- Build brand awareness etc
- How do you work out what has been successful?
Doing it: Update your planner with a success metrics column
- Looking ahead
- Who is in charge of the planner
- Who updates it and when
- How does this impact workflow
Doing it: Agree a plan going forward
To do lists – how will you put into practice what you have learned?
Reactions and close
This course provides you with practical skills that you can apply immediately to your own content strategy. We send you away with a list of “To dos” to focus on after your training and will follow-up with you to see how you are getting on. We are always here if you have any queries at all.
To find out more about our range of in-company courses, and how we work and support you both before and after your training, please have a look at our in-company training page.
Please call 00 44(0)1428 722105 or email us for more information on how we can help you organise your training.