News is the hook that brings readers into paper and online publications. But news stories can fail to grab readers because intros are flat or the structure is poor. This is especially true of product news. This course will help you improve your news writing so you can grab readers and keep them reading.
I now have solid knowledge and expertise behind my news writing decisions meaning I can write with greater focus and control and so make news stories more engaging.
One day in-company training course
We will ask you to bring sufficient material for two news stories.
- What is news?
- Making it work whether it is classic; product or news in brief
- Different audiences, different news
- The classic news questions
- The impact of websites on news coverage
Doing it: Delegates will analyse newspapers and magazines for types of news and strong news stories
Finding the angle
- Targeting news for the reader
- What do they want to know?
- How can you make it interesting?
- Answering the key reader questions: why should I care?
- The classic pyramid underneath it all
- Why order matters
- Making it feel new – spinning the news
Doing it: Getting the order right
Selling your news story
- When summary intros work
- When you need a hook intro
- The possibilities
- Quotes and how to use them
Doing it: Delegates will write one or more news stories
To do lists – how will you put into practice what you have learned?
Reactions and close
This course provides you with practical skills that you can apply immediately to your own news. We send you away with a list of “To dos” to focus on after your training and will follow-up with you to see how you are getting on. We are always here if you have any queries at all.
To find out more about our range of in-company courses, and how we work and support you both before and after your training, please have a look at our in-company training page.
Please call 00 44(0)1428 722105 or email us for more information on how we can help you organise your training.