Take this introductory subbing course, and learn the skills of copy sub-editing, headline writing, use of pictures and layout.
I am a much more confident sub than before the course. It was great.
Sub-editor, Bauer Media
One day in-company training course
The role of the sub-editor
- The challenges and difficulties of being a sub-editor
- The importance of knowing your readership
- The sub as intermediary between writer and reader
The importance of the magazine brand
- The importance of the sub-editor as guardian of the brand
- Distinguishing your magazine from other titles
Handling raw copy
- News and features – different approaches to subbing
- What makes strong copy?
- A look at structure, style and balance
- Getting to grips with the copy – a step-by-step approach
- Tips to keep copy clear and concise
Practical exercise where delegates are given a story to sub
- The importance of house style
- How to set up a style guide
Writing strong headlines
- What makes a good headline?
- Different styles of headlines for news and features
- Headline writing techniques
Practical exercise in headline writing for news and features
The power of intros and standfirsts
- Ways to captivate the reader with strong intros and standfirsts
- Different styles of standfirsts
Practical exercise in standfirst writing
Captions and conclusions
- How to come up with meaningful captions
- What makes a good conclusion?
- Finishing off with style and impact
To do lists – how will you put into practice what you have learned?
Reactions and close
This course provides you with practical skills that you can apply immediately to subbing your own content. We send you away with a list of “To dos” to focus on after your training and will follow-up with you to see how you are getting on. We are always here if you have any queries at all.
To find out more about our range of in-company courses, and how we work and support you both before and after your training, please have a look at our in-company training page.
Our bespoke in-company training is run on a date and at a place to suit you. But if you would rather learn online, please have a look at our Sub-editing elearning course.
Please call 00 44(0)1428 722105 or email us for more information on how we can help you organise your training.