There are some key differences in writing for the web and writing for print. Take this training session and learn how to adapt your style to the media you are writing for.
Half day in-company training course
You will learn the key differences in writing for the web and writing for print and what that means for writing that will be read online. We will ask you to bring content that you want to put online; and if this is not possible the trainer will provide material.
Web vs print: the differences
- How people ‘read’ online content
- Following the eye
- The F-shape
- The 'skim' factor versus 'depth reading' - how reading online evolved
- The mobile reader
What does this mean for writing?
- The importance of the first screen
- Using key words to pull in readers
- Using the pyramid
- Keeping the elements short
- Content that works well on the web
- The importance of visuals
Doing it: Delegates will analyse websites, to see what works and what doesn't work
Getting your content found
- The role of search engines
- How headlines work on the web
- Writing summaries that sell
- Identifying the key words users will search for
- Getting key words in key places
- The importance of linking
- Using images and other visual elements well
Doing it: Delegates will write a short piece of content for search
Writing to be shared
- What makes content shareable?
- Possible formats
- Suiting the content to the platform
- Moving away from straight news headlines
Doing it: Delegates write heads and summaries for content that is designed to be shared
To do lists – how will you put into practice what you have learned?
Reactions and close
This course provides you with practical skills that you can apply immediately to your own online content. We send you away with a list of “To dos” to focus on after your training and will follow-up with you to see how you are getting on. We are always here if you have any queries at all.
To find out more about our range of in-company courses, and how we work and support you both before and after your training, please have a look at our in-company training page.
Our bespoke in-company training is run on a date and at a place to suit you. But if you would rather learn online, please look at our Writing for the Web elearning course.
Please call 00 44(0)1428 722105 or email us for more information on how we can help you organise your training.
Your writing for the web / SEO training course was really useful. I've been putting what I learned into practice since the course, and I'm sure that focusing on my to-do list points is helping my writing - especially when thinking about search. Thanks again, I look forward to seeing you on another course soon.
Editorial assistant, Volkswagen, Haymarket Network