The good and bad of the UK media were on show this weekend.
The good is the News of the World investigation into bet rigging in cricket. A first class piece of investigative journalism:
- On an issue of public interest;
- Causing other media to follow it; and
- Digging out a story which will run and run.
The bad is that another sports “personality” has got a super injunction to stop papers printing information about their private lives. Again it’s a footballer, the third English one to use their wealth to secure an injunction.
Why should we care? It’s on the field or track that counts. It would be OK if:
- They have paraded themselves as a paragon of virtue until now;
- Or used their family for direct gain; or
- Or were paid for coverage of their marriage where they said “Till Death Do We Part”.