We are all using Google hangouts, Zoom etc, more and more. Here are some simple guidelines to help you maximise your use of them:
- Be sure to test microphone, speakers and camera beforehand.
- Be platform agnostic: if your client has a favourite, use it. Otherwise use the one cheapest and easiest for you. This is not a technology issue but a communications issue.
- Don’t go in for large hand or arm gestures: the video delay makes them a blur. I have to discipline myself.
- You might need to use a second screen or download the right app to your phone so that you can see chat messages at the same time as presenting.
- When you ask people to write a message, give them a few minutes to think and write before moving on to the next thing.
- Always repeat back their response with a name check.
- Frequently look at the camera not just the screen: this improves eye contact.
- Slow down speech and be as clear as possible in pronunciation.
- Have a good goodbye: don’t let it dribble off as people can be left hanging and not satisfied.
What are your guidelines? Tell us and share them.