The quality of your writing reflects on both you and your organisation. And the key to effective writing is understanding what your reader wants and then organising your information to deliver it.
This is our writing foundation course - perfect if you want to master the basics and gain confidence in business writing skills. It will show you how to write clearly and avoid common business writing pitfalls, whether it's for an internal email or a sales proposal. This highly practical course using your own content, will give you the skills and knowledge to effectively communicate in writing; including articles, reports, marketing copy, emails, letters, and much more.
One day in-company training course covering:
- Why are you writing and what do you aim to achieve?
- The importance of communicating features and benefits
- Understanding who you are writing for and what they want from your document
- What will make your audience stop reading and taking short attention spans into account
- Distilling your main points into a sentence and getting that message across
- The importance of getting the most important point first
- The key parts of a piece of writing
- Deciding which information to include and which to leave out, and the points you want to make
- Getting your information into the optimum order
- Possible templates and borrowing useful structures from other types of writing
- Writing to communicate – some simple rules
- Why you should vary sentence lengths and why too many clauses obscure your meaning
- Identifying jargon and matching language with audience
- Making your writing active, clear and compelling and avoiding superfluous words
- Common errors to avoid
- Appearance - the role of the headline, using white space, bullet points and lists, images and graphic devices
- The POWER method of effective writing
Actions and follow-up
This course provides you with practical skills that you can apply immediately to your own writing. We send you away with a list of “To dos” to focus on after your training, so you can put into practice what you have learned; and we follow-up with you afterwards to see how you are getting on. We are always available if you have any queries at all, so you just need to let us know.
Brilliant! Loved it all. It will completely change the way I write. Everyone should do it!
Educational psychologist, Derbyshire County Council