Successful proofreading can make the difference between a really effective piece of writing, and one that confuses, bores or even antagonises your reader.
Learn how to spot mistakes and improve pages through a series of practical exercises run throughout this tailored course.
Half or one-day in-company training course (dependent on needs) covering:
- Proofing – the basics
- Understanding the production process and where proofreading fits in
- The importance of proofreading, its responsibilities and the skills required
- Why proofreading is a physical, not a creative process
- How to use proof correction marks - the most commonly used British Standard proofing marks
- Establishing an effective proofing process
- Guidelines on best practice in proofing
- Checking and accuracy
- A run through of essential grammar and punctuation with a focus on common problems
- Tips on spotting mistakes
- Problem areas where mistakes occur
- A checklist for spotting less obvious mistakes
- Making visual checks
- Developing and implementing a house style
- The importance of always proof reading against house style
- Ways to improve the effectiveness of proof reading - how methods and processes can make a difference
Actions and follow-up
This course provides you with practical skills that you can apply immediately to your own content. We send you away with a list of “To dos” to focus on after your training, so you can put into practice what you have learned; and we follow-up with you afterwards to see how you are getting on. We are always available if you have any queries at all, so you just need to let us know.
Really helpful, especially when giving specific situations or examples of work used commonly within the department. Offered memorable techniques on how to approach proofing.
Hospitality marketing executive, BH Live