We will see many more actions in defence of IP in all its forms in the 21st century. Today more value than ever is made by generating intellectual content in both the product and service sectors.
You need to know how to defend your IP in this increasingly litigious area. And how to legally use the IP of others. Protect yourself from media law breaches. Ignorance of the law is, after all, no defence.
This session will help you avoid cost-related legal issues related to handling media; sourcing content; running competitions; and common breaches of copyright and other intellectual property issues. This includes an updated look at the impact digital and social media has on our responsibilities around copyright and IP.
One or half day in-company training course (dependent on needs) covering:
- Overview of intellectual property: Copyright, Trade marks, Confidentiality and Privacy, Passing off
- Copyright - how and when it is created
- What it covers
- Length and ownership
- Transfer and licensing
- Where digital media fits in
- What about social media and apps?
- Company policy
- Text rights from freelancers
- Material from consultants
- Photography rights from freelancers
- Uses of photo libraries
- Using the Internet and social media as a source
- Software and other cover mounts
- Discussion of implications for each medium
- Trade marks - registration, how they are defended, what can be done with them
- Confidentiality and Privacy
- Confidentiality created by the relationship of the source and the journalist or content manager
- Privacy created by the nature of the material
- Passing off - looking like the goods of another
- Running competitions and lotteries - what to do and not do in running competitions, lotteries and prize draws
- The IPSO code - Walk through including understanding the Editor’s Code
Actions and follow-up
This course provides you with the knowledge that you can apply immediately to your own content. We send you away with a list of “To dos” to focus on after your training, so you can put into practice what you have learned; and we follow-up with you afterwards to see how you are getting on. We are always available if you have any queries at all, so you just need to let us know.
Found the trainer really engaging. Really liked the fact that he related our learning to real cases.
Sports Co-ordinator, University of Portsmouth Student Union